Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Finding Motivation

Hey guys. 

Please forgive me for the lack of posts here lately, but I have been a little........ ehh, who are we kidding, I have been a lot a bit lazy.
A brief rundown on what has been going on with me lately: 
I am almost 8 months pregnant and my husband & I decided that I would take a "pre-maternity" leave to get things ready before the baby arrives. 
We have lived in our house for over a year but there are still many projects to be done, including a nursery. I fully realized that everything I have been wanting to to do our house will not happen before the baby and I have accepted that, but there are a few things that HAVE to happen before she gets here. So, I stopped working with the outlook that I was going to be wonder-preggo-woman and get all of these things done. Pshh.. yeah right, like I said- I am pregnant. Which means I am tired, a little cranky at times, and you guessed it- lazy. 
Now don't get me wrong, there have been days where I have gotten a lot accomplished but there are also days, like today, where I just do not want to do anything but lay in bed, eat, and watch TV. 
The other night I was laying in bed and saw that one of my pregnant friends went into labor 18 DAYS EARLY. That's like, two and half weeks. It kind of lit a fire in me and I started thinking "Dear Lord, what if I go into labor early?! We have pretty much nothing done!" We are less than a month and a half away from our due date so I decided it was time to get some shi*t done. 

I wanted to share some tips that I have already started doing and some things that I am going to start implementing to help me find motivation to get up and get going!

1. GET UP + GET DRESSED.
This is probably the hardest part for me. I have a HARD time getting out of bed and starting my day. 
Setting an alarm and waking up- actually, GETTING UP- and getting out of your PJ's into some real clothes is the key to forcing yourself to face the day. 
(Also, there is the little fact that I am about to have a baby so I need to get used to being up early, or all the time for that matter. Ha!)

2. WATER + EXERCISE. 
In other words, supply yourself with plenty of energy. 
It has been a major struggle for me to get enough water during my pregnancy. I have literally forced it down my throat, but little by little, I find myself reaching for more water. Starting the day with an ice cold glass of water gives you a little kick in the pants. Keeping water in me throughout the day is very important too. We can't forget about working out. I ALWAYS say that I feel like if I started working out that it will cure me of all my ailments (ha ha), but I have yet to jump on that bandwagon. Whether it be going for a walk after breakfast or a workout video, this is one thing that I think is SO very important and one of those things I am just going to have to simply do. I know adding these things to my life will significantly increase my energy and ability to do all these things I am needing to get done.

3. TACKLE YOUR DAILY TASKS.
I have actually started making lists of what I need to accomplish the next day before I go to bed. This allows me to go through it all in my head as well as on paper. It makes it easier to prioritize what tasks I need to get done during the day. Also, writing things down is proven to help you actually get it done. I have read that doing the most daunting/unappealing tasks first is better so that you get it done and out of the way, but right now, I am just trying to mark those things off my list by the end of the day. I have also found that starting & finishing one task at a time is better for me at the moment. I am the kind of person that likes to see progress or I don't want to do it all. When you are able to check something off your list you feel a great sense of accomplishment and kind of get a second wind to move on the that next task. 

4. SETTING LUNCH + DINNER DATES.
This is something I came up with to keep me sane. My husband & I pick one day a week for me to meet him for a lunch date as well as one night a week to have date night. This gives me something to look forward too. I can actually get ready, put makeup on, put on some cute clothes and get out of the house. These are also typically the times that I run any errands that need to be done, We also make it a point to meet friends out for dinner or to just hang out every so often as well. Social interaction is key to staying sane! 

5. DON'T GO TO BED WITH A MESS.
I have been trying to make it a point to clean up any dishes that are in the sink or any clothes on the floor before crawling into bed at night. It gives me a sense of peace almost, and knowing that you won't have to wake up the next morning to a dirty house allows me to sleep easier. 

6. UNPLUG AT NIGHT. 
Now this is hella-hard for me.
 I like my phone. I like social media. I like reality shows.
But, I know that turning off all electronics before laying down in bed has huge benefits that go beyond the surface. It's hard for me to do sometimes, but I am learning to put down my phone. 
Then, my brain doesn't stop. I lay in bed with my eyes closed thinking about all sorts of things. I have been using an oil diffuser with lavender & peppermint at night and it is very soothing and does help me turn off as it lulls me to sleep. 

I am by no means a life coach or psychologist or therapist, but these things I listed above are just a few things that I am doing for myself. I'm sure along the way I will find new tools to help me not procrastinate and keep me motivated, but right now I am taking baby steps. 
I have a feeling here in about a month my whole life is going to change anyways! :)

P.S.- I am working on a brief post to fill you all in on my pregnancy journey, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment